Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Day 28, August 29th 2007 ( Twin Falls, ID to Twin Falls, ID)

I slept in this morning since I was able to enjoy the luxury of a bed. I woke up around 10 and just started to get everything ready for the road. I hung out in the hotel until around 11:30 and was surprised to see that I had a message at the hotel for me. Apparently the guy that I had run into at Applebees last night had left me a coupon for a free breakfast at Perkins. It was truly a great thing to wake up to in the morning and I enjoyed the meal that was offered to me. After eating I had it set in my mind to accomplish a few things with the internet from the campus located about 3 blocks away. It was a community college called the College of Southern Idaho and as soon as I said what I was doing I was given a computer to use instantly. I was able to make a flyer for an incredible organization called Food At First (F.A.F.) and update my blog. The flyer is something that I have been intending to do this whole trip and now that I had a computer at my disposal things just started to come together. I know it's about a month into the trip, but with 2 or more months left I think that some money might be able to be made for a good cause. The organization is something that I have volunteered my time at two times a week during the summer and one day a week for over a year previous to that. It has truly been great to have been part of F.A.F. while I was in Ames and I will say that it is one thing that I do miss while I've been on the road. Just being able to go into the kitchen and prepare any meal you want with the food that is donated to F.A.F. for sometimes up to 70 people is just awesome. With places like Red Lobster donating crab, lobster, shrimp and other seafood you can make some pretty good things. While on the road it was unfortunate to hear that the large freezer in the back had broken down. All of the food in the freezer went bad and it was a kind of jolt to get me going on the flyer. With enough money the organizer, Scott Walker would love to expand and make his life long goal come true, to feed the hungry people all over the world. Quite a feat to achieve in one lifetime, but this has definitely been a great step in that direction. To see the website go to www.foodatfirst.com and read more about the incredible program. Through the vicious hours over the computer I remained until around 6:30, when I decided to leave the college. It was a great time and I enjoyed every minute of the entire visit. For my last few minutes in the computer lab I was able to see an incredible response from the people involved at the college. There were two other gentlemen at the senate computer lab with me and both were as helpful as could be. By the time I left I had my hands full of pizza and 20 flyers to take with me on the road. The two gentlemen liked what I was doing so much for Food At First that they said they would post some flyers around campus. I couldn't believe the response from the first people I had introduced the idea of the program to, but I sucked it in and continued on my way. I got myself to the edge of town and was going to try and shoot for Boise tomorrow. I found a park very easily and set up tent right beside what looked like some river rapids.
Daily mileage: 5.1 miles
Total mileage: 1442.8 miles

2 comments:

Julie said...

Kyle,

It is so fun to read about your adventures on the road!

If you stop in Portland, look up Keith's brother, Loren. He has lived there several years and would be a great source of information. They recently moved to a home very near Mt. Tabor.

Best wishes on the rest of your travel and happy belated birthday!

Unknown said...

Hey Kyle glad to see everythings been going well on your trip! The west is so beautiful, you're one crazy lucky dude...have fun and be safe!!

Chris