Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Day 26, August 27th 2007 (Snowville, UT to Kimberly, UT)



I didn't end up sleeping until around midnight last night. So with that reasoning I wasn't up until about 8:30. I headed up the street to a nice little cafe called Mollies and was served by the owner, Mollie. The breakfast came with her homemade cranberry sauce and homemade salsa. With the eggs and the toast it was a delicious breakfast and I was ready to tip her fairly well. Then she came over and told me that this breakfast was on her. I couldn't beleive that for how fast and good everything was this was the first free meal given to me along the trip. It was great, I thanked her and took off down the road. It was about 10 when I started on the road and I started to wish that I would have started earlier because it was so hot outside. I don't know who would have figured that it would have been hot in the middle of desert terrain, but it was. It must have been in the upper 90's . I saw a sign for the next town and thought I would probably keel over and die in the heat before I made it that far. The sign said 76 miles before I would make it to the next town. Luckily, about 40 miles into the ride there was a little gas station off to the side of the road and I was able to stock up on ice water. Unfortunately, while I was in the station my rear tube had popped. I knew it wasn't from anything on the road because it had just been sitting there. So I took everything off the back of my bike and took the rear wheel off. After giving it a good inspection I realized that the rim tape going around the wheel had slid off and caused the tube to pop. With a little super glue the problem was solved and I was ready for a good ride. I still had about 60 miles to go for the day to make it to Twin Falls so that I could enjoy my birthday in a town larger than 2 people. I wasn't sure of the size of Twin Falls, but on the map it looked like it could have been a good sized town. It must have been one of the most boring rides for the remainder of the day, because it was me and the desert for the rest of the ride. I pulled into a little town about 8 miles out of Twin Falls and saw that they had a campground and a restaurant. It was getting dark and I didn't want to risk pulling the same thing I had done yesterday so I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to stay here for the night. The restaurant was the first place I had seen on my trip that offered a spaghetti dinner, and I couldn't have been happier. With some excellent veggies mixed in I truly was blessed to have pulle off the desert and into this little restaurant. I went to the campground following the meal and I couldn't believe what I saw. It was 10:30 and the people were done for the night that were supposed to reaceive the money. Their sign showed that they wouldn't be back until 7 the following morning and that you could either drop the money off in their envelope or settle up in the morning. For 1 person with a tent they wanted to charge me $23.29 for the night. I decided I would set up tent and try to leave early to avoid confrontation because a price like that just seemed ridiculous. I quickly set up tent and enjoyed the few hours of sleep I could get before morning.
Daily mileage: 105.1 miles
Average speed: 14.1 mph
Total mileage: 1395.0 miles

No comments: