Monday, August 6, 2007

Day 3, August 4th 2007 (Sioux City,IA to Plainview,NE)




A big thunderstorm is on its' way in right now on the sixth of August, and so I pulled over to a farm house for shelter just outside of Ord,NE. A wonderful ladie named Carla was able to let me and my bike in her house and then told me I could use her computer as well, so here I am able to tell you a little more about my trip. On the fourth of August I woke up in Sioux City with no destination in mind except heading west. After being served some of the best pancakes I've had by my Aunt Jeanne I was on my way. I was told Nebraska was flat and so I couldn't wait because my legs were still feeling pretty beat up from the day before. Well, Nebraska may be flat, but for those first 20 miles entering into it, it wasn't. I was feeling exhausted and I wasn't sure if it was the hills, the 92 degree heat, or just the fact that I had a 20 mph head wind that I was up against. I continued to pedal on and told myself if I saw a pool I was going in. Well, about 70 miles into the ride I found a pool, but it had just closed. I noticed there was a sign that had said free overnight camping one block and that pointed towards the pool so I headed in that direction. As I headed over there out of the blue a ladie said, "Hey, you've got to come swim." I couldn't believe my ears, so I quickly set up camp and it turns out that this family had reserved the entire pool and the only reason she was so adament about me swimming was because she had seen me biking about 10 miles earlier. Getting in the pool was great, I was able to swim a 500m, shower, and wash my clothes. I'm just not sure if things could get much better.
Daily mileage: 68.8 miles
Average Speed: 12.0 mph
Total mileage: 254.3 miles

No comments: