Monday, August 6, 2007

Day 4, August 5th 2007 (Plainview,NE to Burwell,NE)





I woke up this morning and had a nice start on the road at 7:30 AM. The first two hours were great. There was just a slight mist in the air and I was able to get a good 30 miles in before I pulled over for breakfast. Stopping in to eat at a local restaraunt called The Lunchbox, I was able to get way too much food for only about 6 dollars and it was great. I was able to chat with six local farmers in the area and their words of wisdom changed my whole route through Nebraska. I thought I could go north a little ways and run into a nicely paved path for about 200 miles. The farmers told me, "NO!" Apparently the path was gravel and so they directed me south and saved me probably a good 50-75 miles. They also told me about a guy that was walking backwards from coast to coast that had just stopped and chatted with them two weeks earlier. Maybe if I keep up my pace I can catch him and finally talk to someone crazier than me. So I left the town and headed southwest until I was about 60 miles into the ride. I stopped to grab a bite to eat and about 5 of the locals just swarmed around me wondering what I was doing. I told them and then they all just wanted me to go this way or that way and I couldn't thank them enough for planning my route through Nebraska for me. I left that town with four bottles of ice cold water and ended up not seeing another town or sign of life for 45 miles until I entered a town called Burwell. As soon as I got to town I downed two glasses of ice water and had a great meal at The Maverick (a great truck stop.) I was able to chat with a nice couple who told me about their adventures across the country and it was an instant motivator to get to the coast. About two blocks away they had mentioned there was a fairground and so I went there to camp. It was a huge fairground completely deserted and I was able to shower in the sink, do laundry, and enjoy a sheltered area because a huge storm was about to come through. What a find oh what a find.
Daily mileage: 109.1 miles
Average Speed: 13.3 mph
Total Mileage: 363.4 miles

4 comments:

Papa Georgio said...

Having fun yet? Are you heading for Cheyenne, WY? This would be a nice way of going around Denver. Perhaps you could go thru Rabbit Ears Pass and enter into Yampa Valley. Home of Steamboat Springs. Moe's sister Linda lives here and would most likely give you a warm reception. Let me know if this is a direction you would like to choose.

linanunez said...

look at you! :)

wow, sounds like things are going so well. i'm so happy that you're getting to meet amazing people along the way, kind of gives hope for humanity eh? as it should.

i'm so proud of you babe! i wish i was there along the way, but independent journeys are the best for oneself. you never cease to amaze me, i'm bragging a lot about you by the way.

i'm glad i got to talk to you before you took off, i've thought a lot about you and this trip!

keep on keeping on kyle, you deserve every second of this experience.

"...May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again..."

much love,

carolina

Papa Georgio said...

Riding thru Nebraska can be boring at times. The people of Nebraska seem to be helpfull and receptive. Sometimes it is more fun to help others before they have a chance to help you. May the God of Wind be at your back and the "GIANT" keep you rolling.

tljones7 said...

KY! O man that is sounding like you are having a blast. It makes me happy to read that you are doing so well and are meeting so many friendly and interesting people. I'm jealous man! From team Aplha Terminator Squadron to across the US. You are a beast. Keep posting as often as you can man and make sure to stretch!
"It's not about the bike." haha

TJ