Monday, September 3, 2007

Day 29, August 30th 2007 (Twin Falls, ID to Boise, ID)






It was nice to be on the road early today. After spending the last two days in Twin Falls, I was looking for a good ride. I started peddalling at 6:30 am and it was just perfect outside. I had no wind to worry about and with the sun sun not quite yet up, I didn't have to worry about the heat. I rode with just beautiful weather and scenery for about the first 40 miles. I was in a little highway that was a scenic byway that would go by a site called one-thousand springs. I continued to look on my right to look for it, but just as soon as I thought I saw it, I was beyond it. It was one thing I was looking forward to seeing and I must have just passed it somewhere. There were beautiful things to witness in the country around here and I couldn't get enough of it. After the first 40 miles I was on the interstate for about 20 miles. As I entered the interstate it was around 10, and something incredible happened. The heat and the wind usually pick up at this time. The heat started to rise and the wind did pick up, but for the first time the wind was at my back. I was amazed. I was riding down the interstate and was just flying. I approached Glenn's Ferry, a small town, where the host family I was going to stay with in Boise had told me to pull off. I entered a nice little cafe on my left and went in to receive some lunch. It was great food and incredibly fast. I sat down and in no more than 5 minutes I was staring at great food. I finished my meal and after the lady had seen my flyer and just being the wonderful lady that she is, she gave me the meal for free. I appreciated that she was doing what she could to help out the good cause and I was on my way. I headed towards the path that I was reccomended, which was the Old Oregon Trail Rd. The road was in just perfect condition and I think i only saw two cars for the entire 20 miles. It was just me and the desert and the sun boiling down on me. It was rides like this that were great, they don't just test your phisical ability but you mental strength to keep going. Once off the isolated road I was back on to the interstate. I rode down the interstate and continued to fly. Up hills or down hills it didn't matter, it felt great. I started to approach Boise and it was only 3:30. I had thought I wouldn't make it to Boise until around dark, but with the wind I made great time. I called the host family that i had contacted just the night before through an incredible website, www.warmshowers.com. I was able to talk to Brian, the son, who directed me towards their house. I pulled around the corner and was on the last block when a "goathead" punctured my tire. A goathead was something I had been warned about in these parts and now I was able to see why. They look like burs with a sharp pointy needle and in no time they suck the air right out of your tube. I arrived at the house I would stay at and was just treated as the supreme guest that Idaho could offer. I fixed my flat and was able to spend an incredible evening with Nathan, Rose, and Brian Dearing, and their two great dogs. I was treated to a great meal while watching Boise State play an incredible game of football. It was their season opener and they stomped the opposing team, Weber State, 56 to 7. Scoring 49 points in the first half, I knew right away that this was a team I would have to keep my eyes on along the trip. I was able to chat with the family and just hear how wonderful of people they were. Nathan was a 5th grade teacher and helped me to realize how important Boise State was to himself and to his school. He said that on game day practically the entire school would support the team's colors and compete to see whos' class had the most supporters. Rose was a nurse at another school in town and was an inspiration to hear how wonderful England was, as she had been able to work there for a few years. Brian was helpful as any host could be. He was going to be a sophomore in college and helped me with so many things. From the beginning with directions to the end where he helped me put more music onto my i-pod. I was truly thankful for all of their help and for a great big bed to sleep on. I knew right away that although this was my first stay with someone through the warm showers website, this would not be my last. I went to sleep after the big game and slept like a baby.
Daily mileage: 142.8 miles
Average speed: 17.2 mph
Total mileage: 1585.6 miles

No comments: