Friday, August 3, 2007

Day 2, August 3rd 2007 (Farnhamville,IA to Sioux City,IA)








My
grandparents and I with my sweet bike from Day 1










TOO MUCH FOOD!!!



























Me with my Aunt Jeanne, my cousins kids and of course Tessa the puppy



The 2nd day from my grandparents at Farnhamville to Sioux City started out amazing. I woke up around 6 AM to my grandma slaving away over the stove to make me a great breakfast before I left. I was full and on the road by 7 and had a beautiful day to ride. The heat didn't pick up until around 11, but I didn't care because the wind was at my back heading west and I was able to keep going. I was about 20 miles out when I ran into a lady that was on her morning 10 mile bike ride. I rode with her for about five miles and found out that not only had she done RAGBRAI this past year, but she had started in RAGBRAI when it was only on it's fourth year. I told her about my trip I was on and, for some reason, I got the same response I normally get. She couldn't beleive I was by myself and she thought I was crazy. I thanked her for the encouragement and rode on. By the time I hit a hundred miles it was around 2:30 and I was ready for it to be over. Then over in the distance I saw a hill and then another, another, another......another and that's how I finished the remaining 20 some miles. By the time I made it to Aunt Jeanne's I could not have been happier to see her. She treated me to another night of excellent accommodations....shower,food,laundry and all the other perks of just passing through. I couldn't be happier to have passed through and I'm thinking that maybe I just need to start cruising from house to house in Iowa more often.

Daily mileage: 128.0 miles

Average speed: 15.5 mph

Total mileage: 185.5 miles

6 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks for blogging. This is a great way to hear about your day! Glad to see you made the long ride to Sioux City and you still have a smile on your face. Love ya!
Mom

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Go Kyle go! Jamey and Jolyn were studying your pics and were most interested in the cousins, the pies, and the sweet bike. Don't forget to give people you meet your blog URL - might be interested to see what THEY have to say about YOU!

Mark and Janice said...

Hey Kyle, Looks like Jessie did know how to set up a blog for you! This is going to be fun. Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Please send me some leftover food! LOL

Enjoy your adventure and continue getting acquainted with as many people as you can. Best of luck.

Papa Georgio said...

Enjoy the ride and may the wind be at your back. I watched the IRONMAN triathelon in Hawaii, on the big island, and comments were made concerning cross winds while biking in the mountains. Be carefull! A 150 lb person could be blown over with a strong gust of wind. We experienced the hills from Dyersville to Bellvue and that peaked my endurance. Up a hill, down a mountain...HA! Keep up with the lip balm and sunscreen. Consider getting a camelback for water. Last, check for any signs that say, "MOUNTAIN CLEARING AHEAD." Goofy Nebraskans!

Uncle Joe said...

Hey Kyle-you the man!! My quote of the day to you is: Vision before action is a Dream- Action before vision is a NIGHTMARE-Vision Quest baby! Vision Quest!