Friday, August 17, 2007

Day 7, August 8th 2007 (North Platte,NE to Sidney,NE)



Last night was a restless night of sleep, and I probably only had a good 6 hours of sleep. I woke up and everything was pretty wet around the tent. I rode for a good 50 miles before I made a stop in Ogallala. It was another day of the hot sun so I decided I would see a movie in the afternoon to relax and enjoy the A/C. I pulled in at what I thought was 2 pm. I grabbed a bite to eat and noticed that the next movie was at 3 pm. I showed up around 2:40 and figured I would see the show in 20 minutes. I asked the lady if I could go in a little early and sit down and she told me no because the m ovie was at 3 pm. I was a little unsure why she thought it was to early so I asked her what time it was and she told me that it was only 1:40. That is when I realized that I had changed time zones and had a whole hour to kill. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back outside right away, but I knew that I didn't want to wait and see the movie. So I grabbed some caffeine and enjoyed the A/C at a coffe shop for about an hour. I jumped back on my bike and felt that I had a second wind. I hadn't planned on biking much further, but I had so much energy that I just continued to pedal on. I pedalled from about 4 pm until sunset and put in about 70 miles during that time. I strolled into Sidney with it being almost pitch black and looked for a restaurant. The only place open was a bar that had pizza. I ate the entire pizza and was able to chat with a guy at the bar. He told me that he had lived there for a while and that there was a nice fairground that I could stay at just on the west side of town. It wasn't easy setting up tent in the dark, but I had a little light and I was able to get the job done.
Daily mileage: 124.8 miles
Average speed: 13.6 mph
Total mileage: 648.8 miles

No comments: