Sunday, August 26, 2007

Day 23, August 24th (Duchesne,UT to Kamas,UT)






It was a little chilly waking up this morning. At around 7 I was packed and ready to ride, but it was so cold that I decided to get some breakfast first. It was 55 degrees when I went into the cafe and 72 degrees when I left the cafe an hour later. I started to ride towards Hanna, a little town about 30 miles out. The ride started with a lot of little climbs, and I was feeling pretty good. I stopped into Hanna at a little cafe for a delicious special of shrimp, fries, and a salad for only 5 dollars. I was just finishing my meal when I noticed a group of about 20 riders go by. I was amazed, it was great to finally see some riders. I paid for my meal and quickly hopped back on my bike in hope of catching up with the group. I pedalled as hard as I could for about 3 miles before I caught up with one of the stragglers who had fallen to the back of the pack. I rode with him for a good 7 miles and found out that we were going to be climbing a mountain. Supposedly it was one of the tougher mountains in the area with an 11 degree grade for about 10.5 miles. He and the group he had fallen behind were in the midst of training for a 206 mile bike race in Utah and so as soon as I heard this I decided it was okay to slow down and fall behind this guy for a little ways. I was climbing between 5-6 mph and had to take breaks up the mountain. I was on the road 35 west and it was by far the most scenic road I had been on so far, but it was starting to become fairly demanding for a cyclist. About 2.5 hours later I was at the top, 9,480 ft. Then after I took a little break 30 minutes passed and I was at the bottom of the mountain. I enjoyed the ride down, but I was exhausted. Even with the wind against me and me holding the brakes gently, I was still flying down the hill around 30 mph. I went about 2 miles from the bottom of the mountain and chatted with a nice lady that owned her own deli. Then I rode 6 more miles and stopped in Kamas, a good point to call it a day i thought. It was only about 5 and so i had plenty of time to just relax. I set up tent at a park and just enjoyed the rest of the evening.
Daily mileage: 75.0 miles
Average speed: 11.3 mph
Total mileage: 1,130.4 miles

No comments: