Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Day 31, September 1st 2007 (Willow Creek, OR to John Day, OR)






My legs were felling fresh last night, so I hoped and prayed for some good climbs today. I awoke to find not only some good mountain climbs, but ten-fold what I had hoped for. From farmland to desert to mountains to a national forest, then to a national forest in the mountains. With headwinds and crosswinds, good people to great downhills, it made for an incredible day. I started my journey for the day and headed out of the remaining farmland of Malheur County. But before I was able to go on the journey I had to repair a flat because I must have found a goathead as I was at the school. I was about 15 miles into the ride and was able to cross the Blue Mountain Pass all day. The first climb was the hardest of the entire day. Beginning at an elevation of nearly 0 feet to an elevation of 3,981 feet. I was proud of myself for not giving up this time around and taking a break. Instead I pushed myself to the top. I then continued to go down about 300 feet and then up to another summit at 4,623 feet. From there I must have gone down about 2,000 feet because I was flying down the mountain. I was able to see the first town of the day at the bottom of the mountain and took that time to eat and repair my second flat of the day from another goathead. I fixed the flat and headed into the Wallowa Whitman National Forest. Almost as soon as I entered, I was climbing another hill. My legs were feeling great and in no time, 45 minutes, I reached the mountain summit at 5,109 feet. I flew down the mountain probably another good 2,000 feet. I was starting to climb another mountain and must have been half of the way up when I noticed a little restaurant to the right. I wasn't sure how long it was going to be before i saw another place to eat, so I pulled off to grab some food. The food was great and i was able to chat with a couple, the Elliots. They were just a great couple that actually lived in John Day, where I was headed. They gave me a great preview of what to expect coming ahead. It sounded like a lot of downhill and it would be a nice way to finish the day. Upon leaving the restaraunt they picked up my bill and told me it was the least they could do. I've just been astonished by all of the great people I've met so far and I feel, if anything, that I should be paying for their meal. These people are the only people I'm usually able to talk to during the day and for them to be paying for my meal just leaves me speechless. There are so many great people in this country and I couldn't be more enthused to have gone on this trip to meet them. I left the restaraunt and headed up the remainder of the climb to the top of the mountain. I didn't make it too far when I realized there was construction on the road. I wasn't sure what they would do for road construction on a mountain, but now I was witnessing it. They had placed a stop light on each end with a sign that read "3 minute wait." I waited until the light turned green, let the cars sitting behind me pass by, and then I made it to the end of the construction just as a car was headed straight for me. I climbed to the top which this time read 5,210 feet. It was the highest I had been all day and I was now in stroe for some downhills. The view was just incredible going down the mountain. Everywhere I looked was astonishing. I had about 25 miles into John Day and it was all downhill. I made it in no time and had a good amount of sunlight left because I had crossed into the Pacific time today and had gained another hour. Once in John Day I ate at a Subway and followed that by treating myself to a blizzard at Dairy Queen. Two places I hadn't seen since I had left Boise and probably wouldn't see until Prinville, OR. Just down the road a few blocks was a fairground that i had no problem throwing down a tent at. The elevation in John Day was a little over 3,000 feet, so I was expecting a nice and cool evening.
Daily mileage: 106.0 miles
Average Speed: 13.0 mph
Total: 1773.4 miles

2 comments:

William C. McCalley said...

Kyle,
Your blog is very interesting to read. It's incredible how many nice people you are meeting and how you seem to be able to find the places where you are going. I am curious, how fast are you going on those steep downhill runs down the mountains? Do you worry about losing control and crashing? Still praying for you.
Bill

Kyle Young said...

To answer your question Bill, yes and no. I can come flying down the mountain at up to 40 mph at the fastest point and I will worry about crashing if I have a strong cross wind. I have two brakes to my access and when coming down at high speed I am very thankful to be able to use them. The more downhills I do the more comfortable I feel on the bike, and I don't worry near as much about crashing as I did when I went down my first mountain. Thank you for your prayers because I know that helps as well along this journey.
Kyle aka "Gump"