Monday, September 24, 2007

Day 49, September 19th 2007 (Larkspur,CA to Larkspur,CA)






It was an incredible feeling waking up and not having to pack anything up to get myself on the road. This was a great vacation spot inside of a vacation. I had nowhere that I intended to ride to for the day except for a couple of miles to a bike shop down the road. My legs were still exhausted from pushing them the day before and I knew they were going to be happy over the next few days. I figured it was time to take a break after putting in so many miles to get here, and to prepare myself for the adventure to the east coast. As I walked down the stairs to the kitchen, everyone was starting to get up. Whether it was for work or school, it was the beginning of the day. I had awoken from the great scent of the pancake griddle and was fed a mountain stack of pancakes. Although I thought the pancakes were incredible, I learned something new. There were good pancakes and then there were the bast pancakes, known as "gushers." The kids absolutely loved the gushers and knew exactly when they were how they should be. When it is still a little raw on the inside of the pancakes, then you know you have experienced the next best thing to living itself. I only saw these gushers from a distance and was a little nervous about actually stepping in to see what they were like, so I left the experience to the kids at the table. After the thrill of morning Ryan and Rachel were on their bikes to go to school. Ryan was in the fifth grade and Rachel was in the 3rd grade. They were intent to make it on time and with their morning energy they seemed wide awake. Elliott didn't have to be at preschool until a little later, and since he was a little further away he would need to be driven to his school. Mary took Elliott to school and it wasn't long after that I headed in town to see what could be done with my bike. I had received a few things through the mail at the house for my bike and was ready to get my bike in tip top shape. Since I was unable to find a 10 speed chain and cassette, I had them shipped to me on the coast. I went into the shop only to find out that a nine speed cassette had actually been shipped to me instead of the 10 speed and this was going to be a minor problem. It was even more interesting to find out that this shop, unlike any of the shops on the entire coast line, only carried 10 speed everything and had very limited supplies of the 9 speed equipment. So when I offered to trade the 9 speed for a 10 speed they told me they wouldn't because it would take them too long to get rid of a 9 speed cassette. I was absolutely blown away and knew that I would now have to send this back and exchange it for the 10 speed via mail. I went back to the house a little bummed out from the bad news, but at the same time I knew it was going to be okay. I had the entire day to do whatever I pleased to relax, and I wouldn't be putting anymore miles in on the bike. I found myself wrapped around a book for the day and was able to spend the hours of the day on the deck of the house. With a great view and incredible weather, it was perfect. It was so perfect and it continued to get better and better. I was served fresh cookies while I was wrapped in my readings and was then able to spend the evening with the family. Mary and Todd had something to go to for the evening and it was awesome to be able to spend time with Ryan, Rachel, and Elliott. We started by picking up a pizza just down the street and it was great. It was a very unique pizza place because it was cooked with a brick oven. Once the pizza arrived we were able to watch a movie and relax after the well spent day. The evening was a great way to feel more at home because this was something I was able to do with my younger sisters as well. Pizza and a movie. With the evening coming to an end, everyone was starting to wind down and get ready for bed. It was my first full day spent at one place for a good amount of time and it felt great to be able to spend it in the way that I did. With Todd and Mary arriving back home, they spent a few moments with their kids and I spent some time laying in bed. I hadn't put in any large amount of miles on the bike today and it was a good day of rest.
Daily mileage: 0.0 miles
Total mileage: 3,096.2 miles

No comments: