Monday, October 8, 2007

Day 66, October 6th 2007 (Las Vegas,NV to Las Vegas,NV)






I woke up a little later this morning and enjoyed being able to sleep in. It was Saturday today and I was thinking about leaving tomorrow. I had been in Vegas for a few days and thought that it was coming nearer to a time to leave. I wanted to go to the camping store that I had looked at online and see if I could find a tent pole that would be the right size for what I needed. I took my bike down the rode and didn't realize how far it actually was until I got there. I was riding through some heavy traffic in Vegas and by the time I made it to where I was going I was about 15 miles away from where I had started. I had gone all this way and when I went in to look at some of their gear I didn't find a tent pole, but I did find some other cool stuff. I figured that I could probably get by without replacing the pole because since they didn't have it no one else in town would. I had looked online at the other two outdoor stores in the area and neither had what I was looking for, this store was my only hope for awhile. I was able to come across a small little stove though while I was there. I didn't realize how small they could come, but this one would fit inside a pocket and only weighed 3 oz. It was to good of a deal to pass up. I thought it was kind of funny that I had waited until about halfway into my trip before buying a stove, but I knew how great of a tool it was going to be at this point. No longer would my meals be extended to some peanut butter sandwiches. It was open to some great pasta meals at this point and I felt pretty good about the purchase. I had a lot of traveling through the desert to go through and it was going to start to get a little harder to find some good meals for some time. I left the camping store and after I swung down the strip for a little while, I was back at the house and it was about 6 pm. I was starting to think that tomorrow wasn't exactly a good day to take off on the ride and decided I would stay one more day until Monday. I couldn't get over how great it was to be able to stay with James while I was here. My friend, Seth, had taken off for a little while and now I was staying with someone who I hadn't known, but we got together very well. It was great to have someone who allowed me to stay for as long as I wanted and to be able to hang out with during the days. He was an insurance broker and kept fairly busy with his job during the week, but since I caught him on the weekend, he was spending his free time showing me around the city. He was very knowledgeable about the areas of town and was able to tell me which places to stay away from so that I wouldn't lose my life. As the night turns to day he described it as the zombies coming out. He told me that when he first came to town his car had broken down on the side of the road. He wasn't in the best neighborhood and it was around midnight. He said that while he was standing and waiting for a jump on his car from someone, no one would help him. Everyone was too busy doing what they were doing to pull over and help him. He said that he was there for about half an hour holding up traffic and was drawing quite the attention to the area. There were a few "zombies", bums with an addiction, who had watched everything that had happened and he described it as they were just looking on at the situation. Slowly they came closer and closer and then tried to take stuff out of his car. He couldn't believe that in broad public this was happening and especially because he wasn't able to get a jump on his car. Well, one driver noticed what was happening and pulled over, jumped out of their car, and scared the "zombies" away. He didn't help jump the car, but he was able to free a few zombies away for a little while. I couldn't believe the story, but in a city where everything else I had seen was happening, this didn't surprise me. With so many tourists doing what they do in Vegas it only made sense that things would be done for them to be taken advantage of. It was an incredible area and I couldn't thank him enough for being able to keep me away from where I didn't want to be. The rest of the day after my bike ride I spent sitting down and not keeping busy. Anything to preserve some energy and get ready for whenever I would leave this city of Las Vegas.
Daily mileage: 27.2 miles
Total mileage: 3,902.8 miles

No comments: