Thursday, October 4, 2007

Day 64, October 4th 2007 (Las Vegas,NV to Las Vegas,NV)






Who builds a huge city with over half a million people in the dead center of a desert? I couldn't believe how such a thing could exist. For such a huge international hot spot to be in the center of a desert just seemed unreal. Coming in to the city last night really made me wonder how it could be possible. Today everyone of my questions was answered. I woke up fairly early at around 8. I was surprised that my body didn't want to sleep in longer. I actually felt okay even considering I did the most amount of miles that I have done in one day just yesterday. I needed to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things and when I did I realized that I could get some good breakfast to cook off since I had all of the equipment now. When I came back I had cooked off some eggs and bacon with toast and hash browns. It was incredible to be able to have everything I needed at my disposal. James had to take his car to the shop today and it was on the far west side of town. I was at the house by myself so it was nice to be able to get some things done. James had said that he would take me on a tour tomorrow night so I was anxious to see the strip. Today it was just great to do nothing. Being able to lounge around and relax for a day was always a good felling after a long ride. I had broken one of the tent poles and so I started to look online for some stores that might carry a new pole. I found one, but it was a good ways away and so I figured that could wait for another day. For now I was relaxing and wasn't looking at getting on the bike for a couple of days. I also had to pick a couple of things up at a bike store so as soon as I found a shop online that was also going to be on the list of things to do. Having used up all of my brake pads, I had to stock up on a couple of sets. I found one, but it was a little ways away as well. For dinner I had picked up some spaghetti and I was able to make it to perfection. I got a call from James around 9:30 and quickly realized why he hadn't been home yet. He had been coming back from the car shop around 8:00 and his car had broken down. Apparently they didn't find the problem. So he had to get his car towed back to the shop and then find a way back to town. I didn't see him until 11 pm and it seemed like he had quite the day. It wasn't what he had imagined as a picture perfect day and it seemed he felt alright about being home. I couldn't believe how cool he was about me staying at his place for a couple of days. Once he learned that I was riding my bike around the country and not actually on a motorcycle. He wanted me to stay as many days as I needed to in order to have for the proper rest to get back on the road. I wasn't planning on staying much later than Saturday, but Sunday had seemed like a good day to take off on the road. I was thinking that this would be my last stop until the east coast so I was enjoying a mattress while it was here. It was great to have all of the luxuries of staying at a house on the road and being able to stay with someone who knew the area very well. The tours always seemed to be a little better when things were that way, and I was looking forward to seeing the city tomorrow.
Daily mileage: 0.0 miles
Total mileage: 3,875.6 miles

4 comments:

Jim said...

Kyle:
Zach, your mom, and I have been bug-eyed looking at your pics - really, really good. Thanks for posting all of them. And we are sure thankful you are still going, after your 3:30 am facing down of Big Foot from your tent and then traversing Death Valley. Here is a verse for you to ponder as you meet all of these wonderful friends, "But no stranger had to spend the night in the street, for my door was always open to the traveler." Job 31:32

Ann and Joe said...

October 5th, 2007-8 pm
Hi Kyle, its your Mammoth Lake, Ca family. We got together tonight to have dinner and we ended up discussing the dinner we had with you a few days ago...and how much you can eat!! Then we decided to pull up your site. Very cool pictures and stories. Loved the Lone Pine and Death Valley pictures. Don't forget to keep them coming.

Good luck! Don't forget us.

Joe, Ann, Mike, Margot, Tristan, Bernie, Lucky and Sam.

Unknown said...

Kyle,

Hello from Simona, Emma and myself. We have been following you on your journey. It sounds like you are doing quite well! You have seen some very interesting places and it sounds like you have met some very good people. I am sure Mammoth and Yosemite were pretty incredible. We really enjoyed Yosemite. It is too bad we never got you down to Carmel as the weather was bad, as Carmel is wonderful.

I was wondering how your ride woudl go across Death Valley. The last time we drove through it from Vegas it was 120s. It is a pretty amazing place.

Have some fun in Vegas. Uncle Joe went to highschool with the head cook at the Belagio. Perhaps you can hook into Joe and he may be able to set you up with a steak dinner at the hotel. I am sure your body can use the protein.

I was in Denver all of last week, and hopefully I am done there.

Take care and ride safe. I will try to post more as I opened my account.

Charles.

linanunez said...

amazing kyle, simply amazing! :)

much love,

carolina