Thursday, November 15, 2007

Day 100, November 9th 2007 (Moultrie,GA)





Today was the day that we were going to travel north and closer to the big game. I had some time before we travelled to do some things in the afternoon. We weren't going to leave until 4 in the afternoon so I had all day to experience more of Moultrie. I started with a bowl of cereal and then I went for a bike ride. I was anxious to see how well I could ride now that I wasn't carrying an extra 35 lbs on my bike. I had a couple of different routes to choose from that Bill had told me would be good places to ride. I went down the road and continued as far as i could go. When I reached the end of the road I turned around and I started to come back. There was some beautiful country in the area and it was a nice joy ride. The wind was a strong cross wind, but the temperature was right where it should be. With rolling hills taking me further and further along my way, the road was in perfect condition. It was still awkward riding and trying to balance the bike, but I managed to move along at a fairly good pace. I was going to try and put in some good miles for the day. When I returned to the house on my way back on the road I went in to fill up with more water. My odometer read 18.9 miles and having looked at my total mileage before hand, I figured this would be a good place to stop riding. I was at exactly 6,150.0 miles and it seemed like I couldn't have stopped at a better point. I still wanted to get myself to the pool and swim before we took off this afternoon. So I grabbed my running shoes and I started to jog to the YMCA. I was able to swim when I arrived and then enjoy some more of the hot tub before I started my trip back to the house. Needless to say, by the time we were ready to get on the road and start to travel I was pretty exhausted from the afternoon. I was feeling good after we stopped and picked up some food and it was a good energy boost that I had needed. Before we continued to ride straight to Grandpa Bill and Perlease's house we pulled over at one stop along the way. It was about half way to the house and a good two hours into the drive. Amy's daughter Shelley and her husband Michael had a 10 week old baby and it made for a perfect stop on the way up to Bill and Perlease's house. I had never met Michael or seen their baby, Taylor, and I can't say that I even remember the last time that I saw Shelley. It was great to see more of family while I was in the area and it was fun to be able to talk with them at their house. Shelley had made an incredible cake over the course of the day and it tasted just as good as it looked. We filled up and took a little time to visit before we headed back out on the road to finish our journey north for the day. It was pretty late by the time we made it to the house, but Bill and Perlease were still up and awake. We went in and the first thing we were offered were milkshakes. Everyone had to have a milkshake upon entering the household and I was ready for the calories. Bill made sure to top me off with a large milkshake and it tasted great. We were able to catch up since the last time that we had been with eachother and it sounded like things could have been better in the area of Gainesville,GA. There was a beautiful lake that the house was set along and since there had been no rain for such a long time, the lake had lost a lot of water. The city of Atlanta and a lot of surrounding cities all used the water out of Lake Lanier and with no rain going into north Georgia for such a long period of time, it was a large drought that they were currently having to deal with. It was sad to see when I went down to look at the lake because it was very obvious that it had lost a lot of water. It used to be a large and full lake, but now with the drought it was just extremely low. The rest of the evening was great and was leading up to the big game tomorrow.
Daily mileage: 18.9 miles
Average speed: 19.4 mph
Total mileage: 6,150.0 miles

1 comment:

linanunez said...

good memories down in gainesvilles, ga with mccalley-youngs...glad to hear you made the end of your trip safely.

much love!